Pepper-and-Spice-Rubbed Rib Eye Steaks
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
To enhance the flavor of this rib eye, the spice-rubbed steak stands at room temperature for 1 hour before it's cooked to medium-rare.
- 1/4 cup coarsely ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Two 1 1/4-pound, bone-in rib eye steaks
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- In a bowl, whisk together everything except the steaks, salt and oil. Rub 1 tablespoon of the spice mix on each side of the steaks and let stand at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Season the steaks with salt. In a large cast-iron skillet, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the steaks and cook over moderate heat, turning once, until medium-rare, 6 to 7 minutes per side. Transfer the steaks to a cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes. Cut the steak off the bone, slice across the grain and serve.
Spicy California Syrah is a natural with these peppery steaks. Pour one from Santa Barbara.