- 2 large red bell peppers
- 2 large yellow bell peppers
- 1 medium green bell pepper
- 3 jalapeño chiles
- 3/4 cup fresh corn kernels (from 2 ears)
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 to 3 tablespoons finely shredded fresh basil leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the broiler and position a rack 8 inches from the heat. Broil the bell peppers and jalapeños until blackened all over. Transfer to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap for 20 minutes to loosen the skins. Peel the bell peppers and jalapeños, then remove the seeds and ribs and transfer to a food processor. Pulse until finely chopped but not pureed, then scrape into a bowl.
- In a saucepan of lightly salted boiling water, blanch the corn for 1 minute. Drain and let cool.
- In a small dry skillet, toast the fennel and cumin seeds over moderately high heat, shaking the pan frequently, until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. In a spice grinder, grind the seeds to a fine powder. Add the corn, lemon juice, basil and the ground seeds to the bowl. Season the salsa with salt and black pepper and let stand for 2 hours.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.