- 1 pound penne rigate or fusilli
- 2 cups coarsely chopped arugula
- 3/4 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 3/4 cup torn basil leaves
- 1/2 cup mint leaves
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
How to make this recipe
- Cook the penne in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, toss the arugula with the parsley, basil, mint and scallions. Heat the olive oil in a small skillet. Add the garlic and cook over low heat until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Reserve 1/4 cup of the pasta cooking water. Drain the penne and add it to the bowl. Add the reserved pasta cooking water to the skillet and bring to a simmer. Remove the skillet from the heat, add the butter and let melt. Stir in the lemon juice and zest, then pour the sauce over the penne. Season with salt and pepper and toss well. Serve the pasta at once.
Dress It Up Use a large skillet to cook the garlic. Add 1 pound of large shelled shrimp, season with salt and pepper and cook, tossing, for about 2 minutes. Add the pasta cooking water and simmer until the shrimp are done, about 1 minute. Proceed with the recipe.
The clean, citrusy-mineral flavors and brisk acidity of an Italian Pinot Grigio will complement the lemony herb butter.