- 3/4 pound penne
- 1/4 pound arugula (about 2 bunches), stems removed, leaves torn into pieces
- 1 head radicchio (about 6 ounces), torn into pieces
- 1/4 cup drained capers
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 1/2 pound thin-sliced cooked roast beef, cut into strips
- 2-ounce chunk Parmesan cheese, or 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan
How to make this recipe
- In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the penne until just done, about 13 minutes. Drain, rinse with cold water, and drain thoroughly.
- In a large bowl, toss the pasta with the arugula, radicchio, capers, oil, vinegar, salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper. Add the roast beef and toss again.
- To serve, mound the salad on plates. Top each with strips of Parmesan shaved from the chunk of cheese with a vegetable peeler or with the grated Parmesan. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper over the salads.
This salad goes well with many simple, fruity reds. Pour a Beaujolais-Villages or try a red wine from the south of France such as Corbières or Coteaux du Languedoc.