- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 pound brussels sprouts—trimmed, loose outer leaves reserved and sprouts thinly sliced
- 1 long red fresh chile—halved, seeded and sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick
- 1 teaspoon chopped thyme
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 pound penne rigate
- 4 ounces Gorgonzola cheese, preferably dolce latte, crumbled
- In a large, deep skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the onion and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add the sliced brussels sprouts, chile and thyme and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the sprouts are just tender, about 3 minutes. Add the reserved sprout leaves, cover and remove from the heat.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the penne until al dente. Drain, reserving 3/4 cup of the pasta water. Add the penne to the skillet along with the pasta cooking water and cook over moderate heat, stirring to coat the pasta with the vegetables. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer the pasta to bowls, top with the Gorgonzola and serve right away.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.