- 1/2 large onion, grated on a box grater
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons finely grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, finely grated
- Kosher salt
- 3 1/2 pounds flanken-style beef short ribs, cut 1/3 inch thick
- Warm small flour tortillas, for serving
- Hoisin sauce, julienned cucumbers, grilled yellow squash, sliced hot red chiles, scallions and lime wedges, for serving
How to make this recipe
In a large resealable plastic bag, mix the onion with the soy sauce, ginger, sugar, garlic and 1 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Add the short ribs, seal the bag and turn to coat all the ribs well. Let marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight.
Light a grill. Scrape some of the marinade off the meat. Season the ribs with salt and pepper. Grill over high heat, turning once, until lightly charred in spots, about 5 minutes total. Transfer to a platter and let rest for 2 minutes. Use scissors to snip off the bones and cut the meat into bite-size pieces. Serve in tortillas with hoisin sauce, julienned cucumbers, grilled yellow squash, sliced chiles and scallions, and lime wedges for squeezing.
Brisk and fruity Riesling.