Peel-and-Eat Red Curry Shrimp with Thai Tartar Sauce
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8 to 10 first-course servings
These shrimp have superb heat from store-bought curry paste and are delightful dipped in the tangy Thai-flavored tartar sauce.
Slideshow: Fast and Easy Thai Dishes
- 1 1/2 pounds unpeeled medium shrimp
- 1 tablespoon Thai red curry paste
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 jalapeño, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon Asian fish sauce
- Using kitchen scissors, cut along the tops of the shrimp through the shells and remove the intestinal veins. In a medium bowl, combine the curry paste with 1/4 cup of the oil and the coriander and salt. Add the shrimp and toss to coat. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise with the cilantro, jalapeño, garlic, lime juice and fish sauce.
- Heat a large skillet until very hot. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil along with the shrimp and cook over high heat, tossing occasionally, until the shrimp are just cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer the shrimp to a platter and serve with the tartar sauce.