- 2 pounds large shrimp
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 cup sweet paprika
- 2 small garlic cloves, finely grated
- Kosher salt
- Lime wedges, for serving
How to make this recipe
- In a large bowl, toss the shrimp with the lime juice and 1/4 cup of the olive oil. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, toast the caraway, coriander and cumin seeds over moderate heat until fragrant, about 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a spice grinder and let cool, then add the crushed red pepper and grind into a powder. In a large bowl, whisk the ground spices with the remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil, the paprika, garlic and 1/4 cup of water. Season the harissa with salt.
- Light a grill. Season the shrimp lightly with salt and grill over high heat, turning, until lightly charred and just cooked through, about 4 minutes. Add the shrimp to the harissa and toss to coat. Transfer the shrimp to a platter and serve with lime wedges.
The harissa can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.
Cold beer and peel-and-eat shrimp are a natural summer pairing.