- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 pound rhubarb, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup fresh or frozen cherries, pitted and halved
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Kosher salt
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper
How to make this recipe
Make the Chutney
In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil until shimmering. Add the onion, ginger, coriander and crushed red pepper and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in the rhubarb, cherries, vinegar and sugar and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until the rhubarb starts to break down and the chutney thickens slightly, about 8 minutes. Season the chutney with salt and let cool completely.
Make the Crisps
Preheat the oven to 350° and line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper. In a medium bowl, whisk together the Pecorino and Parmigiano cheeses. Working in batches, spoon 1-tablespoon mounds of the cheese onto the prepared baking sheet, spacing them 2 1/2 inches apart. Use your fingers to flatten the mounds slightly, then season each mound with pepper. Bake for about 13 minutes, until the crisps are golden brown and lacy. Using a spatula, transfer the crisps to a rack to cool and harden. Serve the crisps with the rhubarb-cherry chutney.
The chutney can be refrigerated for up to 5 days.