- 4 McIntosh apples (1 1/2 pounds)peeled, quartered and cored
- 2 Bartlett pearspeeled, quartered and cored
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- In a large, heavy saucepan, bring the apples, pears, water and lemon juice to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the fruit breaks down to a thick, chunky puree, about 30 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the sugar and cinnamon. Serve warm or chilled.
The applesauce can be refrigerated for up to 1 week.