Pear-Cranberry Pie with Crumb Topping
- SERVINGS: MAKES ONE 9-INCH PIE
When Melissa Murphy was a kid, she'd make a miniature pie of her own whenever her mother baked. "I would open the oven a hundred times to see if it was bubbling," she says. This recipe is heaven: the sliced pears are tossed with cranberries and lightly sweetened, then topped with a mountain of sweet and spicy gingersnap crumbs.
- Flaky Pie Dough
- 1 large egg beaten with 1 tablespoon milk or cream
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup (packed) light brown sugar
- 12 Gingersnaps, crushed (see Note)
- 1/8 teaspoon ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 pounds ripe Anjou pears (about 5)—peeled, halved, cored and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 1/2 cups fresh cranberries
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the Flaky Pie Dough to a 12-inch round and fit it into a 9-inch glass pie plate. Trim the overhang to 1 inch, fold it under and crimp decoratively. Brush the rim with the egg wash and refrigerate the pieshell until chilled.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, gingersnap crumbs, ginger and salt. Stir in the melted butter until large crumbs form.
- Preheat the oven to 350°. In a large bowl, toss the pears with the cranberries, lemon juice, lemon zest and vanilla. In a small bowl, toss the sugar with the cornstarch, then stir the sugar into the fruit.
- Pour the fruit into the chilled pie shell. Pour the gingersnap crumbs onto the pie, carefully spreading them to the edge to cover the filling completely. Set the pie on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake on the bottom rack of the oven for 1 1/2 hours, or until the crust is golden and the filling is bubbling; cover the pie loosely with foil if the top is browning too quickly. Let cool before slicing.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.