- 2 Bosc pears (1 pound), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/3 cup plus 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 pinch of ground cloves
- 1 pinch of cinnamon
- 1 pinch of salt
- One 14-ounce package cold all-butter puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, for serving
How to make this recipe
In a medium bowl, toss the diced pears with 1/3 cup of the sugar, 1 tablespoon of the flour and the cranberries, ground cloves, cinnamon and salt.
On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the puff pastry to a 14 1/2-inch square, about 1/8 inch thick. Using a sharp knife, cut the pastry into 8 squares. Spoon the pear filling onto a corner of each square, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Fold the pastry over the filling to make a triangle and firmly press the edges to seal. Crimp the edges with a fork. Prick the top of each triangle once with the fork to allow steam to escape during baking. Transfer the hand pies to a baking sheet and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, until chilled.
Preheat the oven to 400°. Brush the chilled hand pies with the beaten egg and sprinkle them with the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons of sugar. Bake the pies for about 30 minutes, until they are golden brown. Let the hand pies cool for at least 5 minutes. Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.