- 1 bottle (750 ml) rich red wine, such as Chianti or Barbera
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 1/4 teaspoon black peppercorns, coarsely crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice berries, coarsely crushed
- 8 cassia buds or one 4-inch cinnamon stick, crushed
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 ripe peaches, peeled and cut into 8 wedges each
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream
How to make this recipe
In a medium saucepan, combine the wine, sugar, vanilla bean, peppercorns, allspice, cassia and salt. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook, stirring once or twice, until reduced to 1 cup, about 25 minutes. Remove the syrup from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract. Strain and let cool to room temperature; if the syrup is too thick, stir in a few tablespoons of cold water.
Scoop the ice cream into individual bowls and top with the peach wedges. Drizzle each dessert with a few tablespoons of wine syrup and serve.