Peach-Apricot Cobbler with Almond Ice Milk
- ACTIVE: 45 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 2 HR
- SERVINGS: 10
Peaches, apricots and almonds all come from the same plant family, so pairing them together is only naturalliterally. To boost the almond flavor in this recipe, Laurent Tourondel folds a handful of toasted slivered almonds into the fluffy, sweet cobbler topping. The almond ice milk is an ingenious, French-inflected replacement for the vanilla ice cream Americans more typically have with peach desserts.
More Fruit Desserts
- 8 ripe but firm peaches (2 3/4 pounds)halved, pitted and cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 5 ripe but firm apricots (12 ounces)halved, pitted and cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons peach schnapps
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 large egg
- Almond Ice Milk, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 375°. In a large bowl, toss the peaches and apricots with the sugar, peach schnapps and the lemon juice. Transfer the fruit to a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
- In a pie plate, toast the almonds until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk the flour with the 1/2 cup of sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut the chilled butter into the flour until the pieces are pea-size, then stir in the almonds.
- In a small bowl, whisk the milk with the egg and pour over the flour mixture. Mix gently just until a sticky dough forms. Spoon 10 evenly spaced mounds of the dough over the the fruit. Sprinkle each mound with sugar. Bake the cobbler until the filling is bubbly and the topping is puffed and golden brown, about 45 minutes. Let stand 20 minutes, then serve with Almond Ice Milk.