Peach and Berry Croustades
- ACTIVE: 1 HR
- TOTAL TIME: 3 HRS
- SERVINGS: makes 6 croustades
Shelly Register, the pastry talent at Aubergine restaurant in Newport Beach, California, and at Village Bakery in nearby Costa Mesa, wants her desserts to take people back to their childhoods. If you didn't grow up eating French fruit tarts, Register's will make you wish you had.
- 2 sticks (1/2 pound) cold unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 4 large peaches—halved, pitted and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup raspberries
- 1/2 cup blackberries
- All-purpose flour, for dusting
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 6 pieces
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- In a food processor, pulse the butter with the flour and salt until it resembles coarse meal. Add the water and pulse just until a dough forms. Divide the dough into 6 pieces and flatten each into a disk. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Spray 2 baking sheets with cooking spray. In a medium bowl, toss the peaches with 1/2 cup of the granulated sugar, the cornstarch and cinnamon; add a pinch of salt. Fold in the berries.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out each disk of dough to a 6-inch round about 1/8 inch thick. Transfer 3 to each baking sheet. Spread the fruit on the rounds and fold 1-inch of dough over the fruit to form a rim. Top the fruit with a piece of butter and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Brush the crusts with the beaten egg and sprinkle with the remaining 3 tablespoons of granulated sugar. Bake the croustades for about 50 minutes, or until the crusts are golden, rotating the baking sheets halfway through baking. Transfer to racks to cool for 20 minutes. Dust with confectioners' sugar and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.