- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup peeled and cubed parsnip
- 2 leeks, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup tarragon leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 1 pound baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- Freshly ground white pepper
- One 10-ounce bag frozen sweet baby green peas, thawed
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- Fresh lime juice
- Snipped chives and small mint leaves, for garnish
How to make this recipe
In a large pot, heat the olive oil. Add the parsnip, leeks, celery, onion, garlic, tarragon and bay leaf and cook over moderate heat until the vegetables have softened, about 5 minutes. Add the chicken stock, potatoes and 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and white pepper and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over moderately low heat for 45 minutes. Discard the bay leaf.
Add the peas to the pot and simmer until tender, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the heavy cream.
Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender until very smooth. Strain the soup through a fine sieve set over a large bowl, pressing on the solids. Press a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the soup and refrigerate for at least 8 hours or overnight.
Season the chilled soup with lime juice, salt and white pepper. Garnish with the chives and mint and serve.