- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove, halved
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice (10 ounces)
- 4 1/2 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth, warmed
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
- One 16-ounce bag frozen baby peas (3 cups), thawed
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup finely shredded mint leaves
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil. Add the garlic and shallot, cover and cook over moderately low heat until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the rice and stir over moderately low heat until slightly translucent, about 2 minutes. Add 1 cup of the warmed chicken stock and cook, stirring, until nearly absorbed. Continue adding the stock, about 1 cup at a time, stirring until the stock is absorbed before adding more. Cook, stirring, until the rice is al dente and suspended in thick, creamy liquid, about 17 minutes total. Season with salt and pepper; discard the garlic. Add the peas and cook just until heated through. Stir in the cheese and mint and serve.
A vibrant white, such as a Pinot Grigio from Napa.