- 4 ounce Negra Modelo beer
- 1 ounce añejo tequila
- 1 ounce Panela Syrup (see Note)
- 3/4 ounce fresh lime juice
- 1 orange twist, preferably spiral-cut, for garnish
How to make this recipe
- Pour the beer into a large chilled wineglass. In a cocktail shaker, combine the tequila, Panela Syrup and lime juice. Fill the shaker with ice and shake well. Strain into the wineglass and garnish with the orange twist.
Panela Syrup: In a medium saucepan, combine 10 ounces chopped dark panela (a.k.a. piloncillo or unrefined cane sugar), 1/3 cup peeled and chopped fresh ginger, 2/3 cup water, 2 teaspoons ancho powder, 1 1/4 teaspoons whole cloves and the zest from 1 orange. Simmer over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until the panela is dissolved and the syrup is very fragrant, about 7 minutes. Let cool, then pour through a fine strainer into a jar. If desired, strain the syrup again through cheesecloth to remove any residual ancho powder. Refrigerate for up to 2 weeks. Makes about 8 ounces.