Pasta with Spicy Almond Pesto
- ACTIVE: 10 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 25 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Using almond butter is a great shortcut for making this delicious spicy dish. Or try hazelnut butter for an earthier pesto.
- 3/4 pound fettuccine
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup sage leaves
- 1 large garlic clove, mashed to a paste
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 1 scallion, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- Large pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a pot of salted boiling water, cook the pasta until al dente; drain, reserving 3/4 cup of the cooking water. Meanwhile, in a small skillet, heat 1/2 cup of the olive oil until shimmering. Fry the sage leaves over moderate heat, turning occasionally, until crisp. Drain the sage on paper towels, then chop half of the leaves.
- Combine the chopped sage, garlic, almond butter, remaining 1/4 cup of oil, scallion, zest, red pepper and all but 2 tablespoons of the cheese. Toss the pasta with the pesto; add the pasta water as necessary to make a creamy sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Top with the remaining cheese and whole sage leaves and serve.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.