Pasta with Sausage, Basil and Mustard
- ACTIVE: 10 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 20 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
In matching spicy sausage with a creamy mustard sauce and fragrant basil, British cookbook author Nigel Slater created a quick pasta supper with warm, mildly spicy flavors, perfect for a cool fall or winter evening.
Fast Weekday Pastas
- 1 pound penne or medium shells
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 hot Italian sausages, meat removed from casings and crumbled (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons grainy mustard
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1 cup thinly sliced basil
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente; drain. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large, deep skillet. Add the sausage meat and brown over moderately high heat, about 5 minutes. Add the wine and simmer, scraping up the browned bits from the bottom, until reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Add the cream, mustard and crushed red pepper and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat, add the pasta and basil and toss to coat. Serve at once.
The ripe flavors of a soft, round California Merlot best complement this hearty pasta.