- 3/4 pound gemelli or fusilli pasta
- 1 1/4 pounds cremini mushrooms, trimmed, quartered if large
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 large red onions, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons snipped chives
- Preheat the oven to 500°. In a pot of boiling salted water, cook the pasta until al dente. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup of the pasta water. Transfer the pasta to a large bowl, cover with foil and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, on a rimmed baking sheet, toss the mushrooms with 1/4 cup of the oil. Season with salt and pepper and spread the mushrooms in a single layer.
- On another rimmed baking sheet, toss the onions with the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil; season with salt and pepper and spread in a single layer. Roast the mushrooms on the top rack and the onions in the middle of the oven for about 15 minutes, stirring after 10, or until the mushrooms are just tender.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the mushrooms and the pine nuts over the onions and roast for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the pine nuts are toasted. Add the mushrooms and onions to the pasta along with the chives and toss well. If the pasta is dry, add a little of the reserved cooking water. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
The bold flavor of Gorgonzola suggests a fruity, earthy California Barbera, or a Pinot Noir from Australia.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.