- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 large garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
- 1 pound plum tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 pounds mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 pound spaghettini
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
How to make this recipe
- Heat 3 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large, deep skillet until shimmering. Add the onion and garlic and cook over moderate heat until fragrant and softened, about 6 minutes. Increase the heat to moderately high, add the wine and boil until reduced to 1/2 cup, about 12 minutes. Add the tomatoes, crushed red pepper and mussels. Cover and cook until the mussels open, about 5 minutes. Transfer the mussels with a slotted spoon to a large warmed bowl. Season the sauce with salt and pepper, cover and remove the skillet from the heat.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the pasta until al dente. Drain the pasta, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking water.
- Add the pasta and the water to the sauce and toss over low heat for 1 minute. Add the pasta and the sauce to the mussels and toss. Sprinkle with the parsley, drizzle with the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and serve.