Pasta e Fagioli with Roasted Red Peppers and Swiss Chard
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 carrot, coarsely chopped
- 1 pound red Swiss chard, stems and inner ribs discarded, leaves cut crosswise
into 1-inch ribbons
- Two 15-ounce cans small white beans, drained
- 5 cups chicken or vegetable stock or canned low-sodium broth
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted red peppers
- 1/4 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 3/4 cup broken fine egg noodles
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, for serving
In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil until shimmering. Add the onion and carrot and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the Swiss chard and cook until wilted. Add the beans, stock, red peppers and 3 tablespoons of the parsley and bring the soup to a simmer. Cover partially and simmer the soup until the vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, bring a medium saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the broken egg noodles and cook until al dente. Drain the noodles well.
Using a slotted spoon, transfer half of the vegetables to a blender along with a bit of the broth; puree until smooth. Return the puree to the soup. Add the noodles and balsamic vinegar, season with salt and pepper and simmer for 2 minutes. Stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon of parsley, ladle the soup into bowls and serve at once, passing the Parmesan cheese at the table.