- SERVINGS: 4
Plus: More Pasta Recipes and Tips
- 3/4 pound pasta
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 thick-cut slices of bacon
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- One 35-ounce can diced tomatoes
- Pinch of sugar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the pasta until al dente; drain.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a deep-sided medium skillet. Add the bacon and garlic and cook over moderately high heat until the garlic is golden and the bacon is lightly crisp, about 4 minutes. Add the crushed red pepper and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes and their juices, the sugar and a pinch each of salt and pepper and cook over moderately high heat, stirring frequently, until the sauce is thick, about 15 minutes. Discard the bacon and stir in the basil.
- Transfer the pasta to a warmed serving bowl and toss with the sauce. Sprinkle the cheese on top and serve.