Passion Fruit Pavlova
- SERVINGS: 6
Pavlova, a classic Australian dessert named after the Russian ballerina Anna Pavlova, is a crisp meringue shell topped with whipped cream and, often, passion fruit. Andrew Evans, the chef and owner of the Inn at Easton, in Easton, Maryland, learned to make it while living Down Under.
- 3 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup superfine sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sifted cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1 large ripe mango, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 papaya—peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 4 fresh passion fruits (see Note), halved crosswise and seeds and pulp scooped out
- Preheat the oven to 325°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil. In a large bowl, beat the egg whites at medium speed until soft peaks form. Beat in the superfine sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating at high speed for about 15 seconds between additions. Continue beating at high speed until the meringue is stiff and glossy. Beat in the lemon juice, cornstarch and vanilla. Spoon the meringue into 6 mounds on the prepared baking sheet. Using the back of a spoon, make a well in each meringue.
- Bake the meringues in the center of the oven for 5 minutes, until slightly dry to the touch and just set. Reduce the oven temperature to 225° and bake the meringues for 1 hour longer. Turn the oven off and leave the meringues in the warm oven with the door closed for 1 hour. The meringues should be crisp and snowy white on the outside and slightly chewy within.
- Using a handheld mixer, beat the heavy cream at moderately high speed until soft peaks form. Add the confectioners' sugar and beat until thoroughly combined. Set the meringues on dessert plates and top them with whipped cream. Spoon the mango and papaya on top, garnish with the passion fruit and serve.
When shopping for passion fruit, look for ones that are heavy and deep purple, with wrinkled skin. They can be stored in the refrigerator for five days.
One Serving Calories 279 kcal, Total Fat 11.3 gm, Saturated Fat 7.0 gm, Protein 3 gm, Carbohydrates 43 gm.