- One 8-ounce box gingersnaps, lightly crushed
- 1 dried sweetened pineapple ring (1 1/2 ounces), coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped candied ginger
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups dulce de leche (16-ounce jar)
- 1/2 cup passion fruit nectar (see Note)
- 3 pints vanilla ice cream, slightly softened
- 1/4 cup salted roasted pistachios, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons shredded sweetened coconut
How to make this recipe
- In a food processor, combine the crushed gingersnaps with the pineapple, candied ginger and butter and process until fine crumbs form. Press the crumbs evenly over the bottom and 1 inch up the side of a 9-inch springform pan. Freeze until firm, about 10 minutes.
- In a blender, blend the dulce de leche and passion fruit nectar until smooth.
- Spread 1 pint of ice cream in the chilled crust. Using a very small ice cream scoop (2 tablespoons), scoop the remaining 2 pints of ice cream into the crust, leaving some nooks and crannies. Drizzle 3/4 cup of the dulce de leche sauce over the ice cream, allowing it to pool in spots. Sprinkle with the pistachios and coconut and freeze until firm, at least 2 1/2 hours.
- Remove the ring and cut the pie into wedges. Serve the extra dulce de leche sauce at the table.
The pie can be frozen in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Look for passion fruit nectar at supermarkets, preferably the Looza brand.