- 1 cup passion fruit juice (see Note) or unsweetened pineapple juice
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 large garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 habanero chile or 1 whole jalapeño, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons snipped fresh chives
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced red bell pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- Pinch of ground cumin
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
How to make this recipe
In a small saucepan, combine the passion fruit or pineapple juice with the sugar and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to moderate and simmer until the juice is reduced by half and thickened slightly, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a blender or food processor and let cool slightly. Add the garlic, ginger and habanero chile and blend until smooth, about 30 seconds. Transfer the sauce to a medium bowl and stir in the chives, red bell pepper, vinegar and cumin. Season the passion fruit sauce with salt and pepper and let cool completely.
The sauce can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.
Passion fruit juice is available in the freezer section of most Latin markets.