Parmesan Polenta with Roasted Leeks, Fennel and Mushrooms
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: 4
- 3 leeks, white and light green parts only, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 2 fennel bulbs—halved lengthwise, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 pound shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and thinly sliced
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups chicken stock or water
- 1 cup instant polenta
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoons thyme leaves, minced
- Preheat the oven to 400°. In a medium roasting pan, drizzle the leeks, fennel and shiitake with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Roast for about 50 minutes, until the vegetables are tender and browned in spots.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, bring the chicken stock to a boil. Slowly whisk in the polenta and cook over moderately low heat, whisking occasionally, until smooth, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the Parmigiano-Reggiano, butter and thyme. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon the polenta into shallow bowls, top with the vegetables and serve.