- 1/3 cup long-grain rice
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1/2 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 large tomato, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
How to make this recipe
Bring a small saucepan of water to a boil. Add the rice and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 12 minutes. Drain and let cool.
In a large bowl, combine the ground pork with the cooked rice, bread crumbs, eggs, salt, pepper and half of the garlic. Blend thoroughly with your hands. Wet your hands and roll the mixture into 1-inch meatballs.
In a large skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the onion, crushed red pepper and the remaining garlic and cook over moderate heat until the onion is softened, about 4 minutes. Add the tomato and cook, stirring occasionally, until saucy, about 5 minutes. Add the meatballs, cover and cook over moderately low heat, carefully turning the meatballs a few times, until firm and cooked through, about 10 minutes. Using tongs, transfer the meatballs to a rimmed baking sheet to cool.
In a shallow bowl, combine the Parmesan and parsley. Roll the meatballs in the Parmesan-parsley mixture to coat, then transfer the meatballs to a platter, skewer with toothpicks and serve.