© Jody Horton
Parmesan Asparagus with Poached Eggs
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 4
This simple, elegant recipe combines three foods that Gwyneth Paltrow adores: fresh spring asparagus, tons of Parmesan and poached eggs.
Slideshow: Cooking with Spring Produce
- 1 pound thick asparagus, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 4 large eggs
- Toast, for serving
- Preheat the broiler. Blanch the asparagus in a large, deep skillet of boiling salted water until crisp-tender, 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the asparagus to a paper towel–lined plate and pat dry; reserve the liquid in the skillet. Arrange the asparagus in 4 individual shallow baking dishes. Brush with the butter and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with the cheese and broil 6 inches from the heat until golden, about 1 minute.
- Add the vinegar to the asparagus blanching liquid and return to a simmer. Crack the eggs into the simmering water, leaving plenty of space between them, and poach until the whites are set but the yolks are runny, about 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, carefully remove each egg from the water, blot thoroughly dry with a paper towel and set on the asparagus. Serve with toast.