© Jonny Valiant
Parker House Roll Dough
- ACTIVE: 15 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: dough for 8 individual potpies
“My great-grandmother made the best Parker House rolls,” says Michael White. Her secret ingredient: instant potato flakes. The dough makes a splendid topping for potpie.
Slideshow: Delicious Bread and Biscuit Recipes
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 cup instant potato flakes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 envelopes instant dry yeast
- 1 large egg
- In a standing electric mixer fitted with the dough hook, combine the 3 cups of flour with the potato flakes and salt. In a small microwave-safe bowl, heat the milk, butter and sugar just until warm. Stir in the yeast and let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes. Add the yeast mixture to the mixing bowl with the egg and beat at medium speed until smooth, about 5 minutes. Scrape the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead until supple and silky, about 3 minutes.
- Spray the bowl with vegetable spray and add the dough. Cover and let rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour. Punch down the dough and transfer to a floured work surface. Let rest for 5 minutes before using.
Make AheadThe dough can rise in the refrigerator overnight. Let return to room temperature, then punch down and proceed.