Pappardelle with Duck Ragù
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Paul Grieco of Terroir in Manhattan is one of the few sommeliers to serve wines from Sicily's Frank Cornelissen, who favors a hyper-natural approach and the use of amphorae for red wines. Chef Marco Canora's pasta with braised duck is just the thing with Cornelissen's red; this version calls for duck confit.
- 4 store-bought duck confit legs
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 1/4 cup minced carrot
- 1/4 cup minced celery
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 12 Niçoise olives, pitted and halved
- 1/2 tablespoon rosemary leaves
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 pound pappardelle
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Microwave the duck legs at high power for 1 minute, until warm. Remove the skin from the legs and reserve it for another use. Remove the meat from the bones and cut it into bite-sized pieces; discard the bones.
- In a large, deep skillet, heat the oil. Add the onion, carrot and celery and season lightly with salt and pepper. Cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until slightly softened, 1 minute. Reduce the heat to moderate and cook, stirring, until browned, about 8 minutes. Add the olives, rosemary and garlic and cook over high heat, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the duck and stir gently to coat with the vegetables. Add the wine and simmer for 1 minute. Add the stock and simmer until the liquid is reduced to 3/4 cup, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in half of the butter. Cover and keep warm.
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the pasta until al dente; drain. Add the pasta to the ragù and cook over moderate heat, stirring gently, until simmering. Remove from the heat and stir in the 1/2 cup of cheese and the remaining butter. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
Edgy Wine NV Cornelissen MunJebel 6.
Accessible Wine Brambly Spanish Garnacha.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.