- 1 large ripe papaya—peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2 -inch dice
- 3/4 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 dried red chiles
- 6 black peppercorns
- 2 allspice berries
- 3 inches of cinnamon stick
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch dissolved in 2 tablespoons water
- In a medium saucepan, combine the papaya, pineapple juice, water, sugar, lime juice, chiles, peppercorns, allspice, cinnamon stick, fennel and coriander; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to moderately low and cook, stirring occasionally, until the papaya just begins to fall apart, about 20 minutes.
- Strain the syrup through a fine sieve, pressing on the papaya to puree it. Return the puree to the saucepan and add the cornstarch mixture. Bring to a boil, then cook over moderate heat until thick, about 5 minutes.
Make AheadThe syrup can be refrigerated for up to 1 week.
NotesOne Serving Calories 146 kcal, Total Fat .8 gm, Saturated Fat .1 gm.