Papaya, Orange and Watercress Salad with Pancetta
- TOTAL TIME: 20 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
- 4 ounces thinly sliced pancetta (about 10 slices)
- 2 large navel oranges
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Asian sesame oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- One 2-pound papayapeeled, seeded and thinly sliced
- 6 large scallions, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced
- One 6-ounce bunch watercress, tough stems discarded
- In a large skillet, cook the pancetta over moderate heat until browned and crisp. Drain on paper towels and let cool, then coarsely crumble.
- Peel the oranges with a sharp knife, removing all of the bitter white pith. Working over a strainer set over a bowl, cut in between the membranes to release the sections. Squeeze the membranes to extract the juice: You should have 3 tablespoons. Pour the juice into a jar. Add the olive and sesame oils, season with salt and pepper and shake. Halve the orange sections.
- In a large bowl, toss the papaya, scallions, watercress and oranges with the dressing. Season the salad with salt and pepper and transfer to plates. Garnish with the crumbled pancetta and serve.