- 4 thick slices stale coarse peasant bread (about 1/2 pound)
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cups lightly packed salad greens
- 4 large tomatoes, cut into 1-inch dice
- 2 medium cucumbers—peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
How to make this recipe
In a large bowl, cover the bread with cold water and let soak for 10 minutes. Squeeze out the excess water. In a small bowl, whisk the olive oil with the vinegar, garlic, red pepper, salt and pepper.
In a large bowl, toss the salad greens with the tomatoes, cucumbers, onion and basil. crumble in the soaked bread with your hands. Add the dressing and toss well. Refrigerate for up to 4 hours and serve well chilled.