- SERVINGS: 8
If you have time, toss the cucumbers with salt and drain for 30 minutes before assembling the salad.
- 4 thick slices stale coarse peasant bread (about 1/2 pound)
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cups lightly packed salad greens
- 4 large tomatoes, cut into 1-inch dice
- 2 medium cucumbers—peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
- In a large bowl, cover the bread with cold water and let soak for 10 minutes. Squeeze out the excess water. In a small bowl, whisk the olive oil with the vinegar, garlic, red pepper, salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, toss the salad greens with the tomatoes, cucumbers, onion and basil. crumble in the soaked bread with your hands. Add the dressing and toss well. Refrigerate for up to 4 hours and serve well chilled.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.