Panettone Bread Pudding
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 2 HRS 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 12
- 2 pounds panettone, sliced 1 1/2 inches thick
- 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups heavy cream
- One 12-ounce can evaporated milk
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Butter a 2-quart baking dish. Toast the panettone on the oven racks for 8 to 10 minutes, or until golden; cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes and transfer to the prepared baking dish.
- In a saucepan, cook the butter over moderately low heat until nutty and the milk solids are brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Toss the butter with the panettone.
- In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the eggs and sugar at medium speed until pale and thick, 2 minutes. Beat in the vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt, then beat in the heavy cream and evaporated milk. Pour the custard over the panettone; let stand for 1 hour, gently tossing now and then, until the custard is absorbed.
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Bake the bread pudding for 25 to 30 minutes, until the top is golden and the custard is set. Let cool for 30 minutes before cutting into squares.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.