- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- One 2-pound loaf panettone, crust removed, bread cut into 2-inch cubes
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Pure maple syrup, for serving
How to make this recipe
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs with the milk, cream, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add the panettone cubes, stir to coat and let soak until the liquid is completely absorbed, about 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Butter a 9-by-13-inch glass baking dish. Spread the panettone in the dish and bake for 40 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove the baking dish from the oven and preheat the broiler. Dust the panettone with confectioners' sugar and broil for 30 seconds, shifting the pan for even browning. Sprinkle again with confectioners' sugar, cut into squares and serve with maple syrup.
The panettone mixture can be refrigerated in the prepared baking dish overnight. Bring it to room temperature before baking.