- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 6 large eggs
- Ice cubes
- 1 cup pure olive oil
- All-purpose flour for dusting
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Freshly ground pepper
- 6 ounces watercress, stems trimmed
- Freshly grated bottarga
- Lightly oil an 8-by-4-inch loaf pan. In a saucepan, bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Add 1 teaspoon of salt and whisk in the chickpea flour until smooth. Cook over moderate heat just until thickened, 2 minutes. Scrape the mixture into the loaf pan and smooth the surface. Let cool, then refrigerate until firm, at least 2 hours.
- In a medium saucepan of boiling water, cook the eggs over moderate heat for 6 minutes. Drain the eggs and return them to the saucepan; cover with cold water and ice cubes. Lightly crack the shells and let them stand until cooled, 10 minutes. Carefully peel the eggs.
- Heat the pure olive oil in a skillet. Unmold the chickpea loaf and slice it 1/2 inch thick. Dust the slices with flour and fry over high heat, turning, until golden, 5 minutes. Drain the panelle on paper towels and sprinkle with salt.
- In a bowl, whisk the extra-virgin olive oil with the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Add the watercress, toss and transfer to plates. Arrange the panelle and eggs alongside. Garnish with bottarga and serve right away.
Clean, mineral-driven Verdicchio.