- ACTIVE: 25 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: Makes 2 dozen hors d'oeuvres
Serve these mushrooms as an hors d'oeuvre or as an accompaniment to a beef or veal roast.
- 24 medium porcini or cremini mushrooms
- 3 medium garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 3 ounces thinly sliced pancetta, torn into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 450°. Make a cut in the center of each mushroom stem down to the cap. Insert a garlic slice in each stem, wrap a pancetta strip around it and secure with a toothpick. Spread the mushrooms on 2 large baking sheets, brush with the olive oil and bake for about 14 minutes, or until browned and crisp. Remove the toothpicks, transfer to a platter and serve.
Try a crisp Italian white, such as a Soave or a Gavi.