- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 sweet Italian sausages (about 1 pound), pricked with a fork
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the sausages and cook over moderate heat, turning occasionally, until browned but not cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Add the water to the skillet. Cover and cook until the water is nearly evaporated and the sausages are firm, about 7 minutes. Add the apples and fennel seeds and cook, stirring occasionally, until the apples are tender and browned, 8 minutes. Stir in the vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Serve in bowls atop the Cheesy Grits.
People typically think of sausages as red-wine food, but sweet Italian pork sausages pair best with a full-bodied white. Look to the affordable wines of southern Italy.