- 2 pounds asparagus, trimmed and trimmings reserved
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- Chopped smoked almonds, for garnish
How to make this recipe
- Peel 1 1/2 pounds of the asparagus; reserve the peelings. In a blender, combine the trimmings and peelings with the remaining 1/2 pound of unpeeled asparagus and 1/2 cup of water and puree until smooth. Strain the asparagus juice through a sieve into a medium bowl.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil. Add the peeled asparagus and season with salt. Cook over moderate heat until lightly golden on the bottom, about 2 minutes. Turn the asparagus and add the butter and asparagus juice. Cover and cook over moderate heat until the asparagus are just tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Using tongs, transfer to a serving platter.
- Whisk the maple syrup and sherry vinegar into the juice in the skillet and season with salt. Spoon the sauce over the asparagus, top with almonds and serve.