Pan-Grilled Shrimp on "Killed" Salad
- SERVINGS: 6
Fresh greens wilt slightly under the hot shrimp. You might find this recipe prepared with crawfish instead of shrimp in a Southern tearoom or lunch parlor. For a more refined dish, shell the shrimp before marinating.
Terrific Green Salads
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon unsulphured molasses
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Coarse salt
- 2 pounds large shrimp, butterflied through the back and deveined
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped anchovy fillets
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for pan-grilling
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon
- 6 cups mixed greens, such as watercress and green leaf lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- 2 carrots, coarsely shredded
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In a medium bowl, combine the butter, paprika, molasses, dry mustard, lemon pepper, onion powder, cayenne, cumin and 1 teaspoon of salt. Lay the shrimp shell-side down on a baking sheet and brush with the paste. If necessary, separate layers of shrimp with wax paper. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- In a blender, combine the vinegar, wine, honey, yellow mustard, parsley, garlic and anchovies and puree. With the machine on, add 1/3 cup of olive oil in a thin stream and blend until emulsified. Transfer the dressing to a jar.
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon over moderately high heat until browned and crisp, about 6 minutes; drain on paper towels. Crumble the bacon into a large bowl. Add the greens, carrots and 2 tablespoons of the dressing, season with black pepper and toss. Arrange the salad on 6 large plates.
- Heat a cast-iron grill pan or a large skillet and coat lightly with olive oil. Add the shrimp in batches and cook over high heat, drizzling occasionally with some of the dressing and turning once, until bright pink and blackened in spots, 4 to 5 minutes. Arrange the shrimp on the salads and serve immediately. Pass the remaining dressing at the table.
The tanginess of this salad requires a wine with the acidity to match. Look for a Pinot Blanc from Alsace.