- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1/2 pound shelled fresh young peas (2 cups)
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt
- 12 jumbo shrimp (1 pound), shelled and deveined
- 4 cups baby arugula (2 ounces)
How to make this recipe
In a small skillet, toast the pine nuts over low heat, stirring frequently, until golden, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate and let cool completely.
In a food processor, combine the toasted pine nuts, the peas, cheese, garlic, 1/4 cup of the olive oil and 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice and puree until a coarse, thick pesto forms. Season with salt and pepper.
In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Season the shrimp with salt and pepper. Add half of the shrimp to the skillet and cook over moderately high heat for 3 minutes. Turn the shrimp over, reduce the heat to moderate and cook until golden outside and white throughout, 2 to 3 minutes longer. Repeat with another 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and the remaining shrimp.
Toss the arugula with the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice; season with salt and pepper. Spread the pea pesto on plates, top with the shrimp and arugula and serve.