Pan-Fried Salmon Burgers with Cabbage Slaw and Avocado Aioli
- ACTIVE: 1 HR
- TOTAL TIME: 3 HR
- SERVINGS: 6
These moist and spicy burgers are from Zov Karamardian, the chef and owner of Zov's Bistro in Tustin, California. Don't be put off by the long list of ingredients: Everything is easy to assemble and can be made ahead. All you have to do is pan-fry the burgers just before serving.
All-Time Favorite Burgers
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless center-cut salmon fillet, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons sambal oelek (see Note) or hot sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon chopped mint
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups Japanese panko or plain dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 small green cabbage, shredded
- 1 small cucumberpeeled, halved lengthwise, seeded and julienned
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Avocado Aioli
- 6 onion rolls, split and toasted
- In a food processor, pulse the chopped salmon about 10 times, or until minced. Scrape the salmon into a bowl. Mix the mayonnaise with the fish sauce, sambal oelek, garlic, shallot, ginger, lemon zest, 2 tablespoons of the cilantro, 1 tablespoon of the mint, 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper. Add the mixture to the salmon along with 1 cup of the panko. Fold the salmon mixture together with a rubber spatula. With lightly oiled hands, pat the mixture into 6 burgers. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the lemon and lime juice with the vinegar. Add the sugar; stir until dissolved. Add the cabbage, cucumber, onion, red pepper and the remaining 1/2 cup each of cilantro and mint and toss well.
- In a shallow bowl, mix the remaining 1/2 cup of panko with the sesame seeds. Pat the mixture onto the salmon burgers.
- In each of 2 large nonstick skillets, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil until shimmering. Add 3 salmon burgers to each skillet and cook over moderately high heat, turning once, until well browned but barely cooked in the center, about 7 minutes.
- Spread the Avocado Aioli on the rolls. Add the salmon burgers, top with the slaw, close the sandwiches and serve.