- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 pound small okra, stem ends trimmed
- 1/2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a large nonreactive skillet, toast the cumin seeds over moderately high heat, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Let cool, then grind in a spice grinder or mortar or finely chop with a knife.
- Heat the vegetable oil in the skillet until shimmering. Add the okra and cook over moderately high heat, shaking the pan occasionally, until beginning to brown, about 3 minutes. Add the tomato paste, lemon juice and ground cumin and stir well to coat the okra. Continue cooking until the okra is tender but firm and nicely glazed, about 1 more minute. Season with salt and pepper and serve at once.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.