Pan-Fried Cheese with Salsa Verde
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 4
This recipe calls for scamorza, a cow's milk cheese that resembles a dry mozzarella. It holds its shape when cooked, oozing a little in the center.
- 2 cups basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons packed flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon packed mint leaves
- 4 anchovy fillets, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1 tablespoon drained capers
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Four 1/3-inch-thick slices of scamorza (1 1/2 to 2 ounces each)
- 4 thick slices of peasant bread, toasted
- In a food processor, combine the basil, parsley and mint with the anchovies, Pecorino and capers and pulse until finely chopped. With the machine on, add 1/2 cup of the olive oil in a steady stream and process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread the flour in a pie plate. Add the cheese slices and dredge lightly in the flour, tapping off the excess. In a medium nonstick skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add the cheese and fry over moderate heat, turning once, until golden, about 3 minutes. Transfer the cheese to 4 plates, drizzle with the salsa verde and serve with the toasted bread.