Pan-Fried Asian-Style Crab Burgers
- ACTIVE: 40 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 15 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
Shawn McClain of Spring and the new Green Zebra in Chicago blends Dungeness crab with Korean kimchi and panko (Japanese bread crumbs) to transform American crab cakes into Asian-style burgers.
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup mascarpone, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups kimchi, drained and chopped, plus 2 tablespoons of the pickling juice (see Note)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons very finely grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 pounds Dungeness or lump crabmeat, picked over
- 1 cup Japanese panko or plain dry bread crumbs
- 1 1/4 cups mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon sambal oelek (see Note) or other hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 Belgian endives, halved crosswise and cut lengthwise into thin strips
- 1 medium carrot, julienned on a mandoline or shredded
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 12 slices of brioche or 6 split brioche or Portuguese rolls, lightly toasted
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs. Stir in the mascarpone until blended. Add 1/2 cup of the drained kimchi, two-thirds of the minced garlic, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and the ginger. Fold in the crabmeat and 1/2 cup of the panko or plain dry bread crumbs. Pat the crabmeat mixture into 6 burgers, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until the crab burgers are chilled and firm, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix the mayonnaise with the lime juice, sambal oelek, mustard, lime zest and the remaining minced garlic. Season with salt and pepper. In a large bowl, toss the endives with the carrot, the remaining 1 cup of kimchi and 2 tablespoons of the pickling juice.
- Spread the remaining panko on a plate and coat the burgers. In a very large nonstick skillet, heat 1/4 inch of oil. Add the burgers and cook over moderately high heat, turning once, until browned, 7 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- Spread the mayonnaise on the toasted brioche. Set the crab burgers on the brioche toast and top with the kimchi slaw. Close the crab burger sandwiches and serve.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.