- 1 fennel bulb, halved and cut crosswise into very thin slices
- 1 cup drained and rinsed canned chickpeas (from one 15-ounce can)
- 1/3 cup black olives, such as Niçoise or Kalamata, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons drained capers, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 4 teaspoons wine vinegar
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 4 large crusty rolls, split
How to make this recipe
In a large glass or stainless-steel bowl, combine the fennel, chickpeas, olives, capers, parsley, garlic, and tomato. Add the vinegar, oil, salt, and pepper and toss.
Remove some of the soft center from each half roll, leaving a 1/2-inch shell. Mound the filling onto the bottom of each roll. Drizzle any remaining juices over the filling. Cover with the top of each roll.
If you have time, wrap each roll tightly in aluminum foil and let sit for 15 minutes or up to 2 hours. Otherwise, press down on the rolls firmly so that the dressing moistens the bread.
Other delicious ingredients to add to the sandwich include strips of raw green bell pepper or roasted red bell pepper, sliced hard-cooked egg, a small can of drained tuna, a few chopped anchovy fillets, or a handful of fresh basil leaves.
Not only are rosé wines a perfect match for sandwiches, they're also delightful with foods highlighting the flavors of southern France. Try one from the region of Provence.