- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/4 cup finely diced peeled Asian pear
- 1/4 cup peeled, seeded and finely diced cucumber
- 1 serrano chile, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon minced cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon minced candied ginger
- 1 teaspoon Asian fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 12 freshly shucked oysters on the half shell, such as Rappahannocks
How to make this recipe
- In a small skillet, toast the coriander seeds over moderate heat until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Let cool, then coarsely crush the seeds in a mortar. In a small bowl, mix the crushed coriander with all of the remaining ingredients except the oysters.
- Arrange the oysters on crushed ice. Spoon some of the topping on each one and serve right away, passing additional topping at the table.
Crisp, melony Loire white like a Muscadet.
Photo © Christina Holmes Published November 2014