- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 small onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, 1 clove minced
- 1/4 cup dry vermouth
- 2 dozen oysters, such as Wellfleet, shucked, 1/4 cup oyster liquor reserved
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup tarragon, minced
- 8 baguette slices, toasted
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil. Add the onion and minced garlic; cook over moderate heat until softened, 5 minutes. Add the vermouth; boil over moderately high heat until reduced by half, about 2 minutes. Add the oyster liquor and water and simmer for 3 minutes. Add the cream and simmer over moderate heat until the sauce coats a spoon, 5 minutes. Remove from the heat. Add 1 teaspoon of the lemon juice; season with salt.
- In a bowl, mix the butter with the tarragon and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice; season with salt. Lightly rub the toasts with the garlic clove and spread with the tarragon butter.
- Add the oysters to the sauce. Cook over moderately low heat until warmed through, 2 minutes. Serve with the toasts.
Contributed By April Bloomfield Photo Published